Choosing the right window fittings for your home isn’t as easy as it sounds. Curtains and blinds are an important part of home décor, not only adding to your overall decoration scheme but also providing a range of benefits in terms of temperature control and aesthetics. The question is, do you buy ready made blinds right off the shelf, or go with custom made blinds that are made to measure and have them professionally installed?
When it comes to choosing between custom made blinds and ready made blinds, we here at Abbey Blinds and Curtains know a thing or two about making the right decision to suit your needs. Our curtain and blind experts have provided an overview of the pros and cons of custom made blinds versus ready made blinds, so you can be more informed about which option is best for you.
The pros of custom made blinds
Custom made curtains and blinds offer many benefits, including:
- They are customised to perfectly fit to your window. Not only does this look much better and reduce any anxieties about incorrect fittings, it’s also better for older homes, as not all window frames suit ready made blind brackets.
- Custom made blinds are installed correctly to Australian Safety Standards, which not only ensures protection for you and your family but also saves you the time as you don’t have to do the installation yourself.
- A professional will personally advise you on the best blind and curtain solutions for your home before installing the blinds to the highest professional standards.
- You’ll be able to see samples of the colour and texture in your own home before purchasing, making sure the style fits with the rest of your home décor. Abbey Blinds offer a free measure and quote service along with a mobile showroom, so you can make a well-informed decision you feel confident about.
- Custom made blinds are high quality and durable and come with a guarantee for installation and material.
- Custom blinds come with a wide range of options, so you can tailor your choice to suit your personal preferences. Customizable options include UV blocking, mechanical controlling, programmable timers, and a massive range of colours and textures, and are available in modern and traditional styles.
- They can be made to fit any dimension, so there’s no need to worry about finding the right fit for your excessively large or small windows.
The cons of custom made blinds
The only con to keep in mind when choosing custom made blinds is that it’s a more time-consuming process. You will need to allow time to choose your design then await the manufacture and installation of your blinds. With Abbey Blinds and Curtains, this is typically a 10-day process, depending on the scope of your order.
The pros of ready-made blinds
Buying ready made blinds offers several benefits, including:
- Ready made blinds are quick and easy to find and buy. All you need to do is go to a blind store, find the ones you like that fit your requirements and you can purchase them instantly.
- You can install ready made blinds yourself, which means you can put them up as soon as you’ve bought them home.
- They often present the cheaper option, although Abbey Blinds and Curtains offers custom blinds at factory direct prices for a more affordable customised option.
The cons of ready-made blinds
The cons associated with buying ready made blinds are small but significant, including:
- You are limited in the size and style you can select. If a shop doesn’t have the colour, size or texture you like, there’s nothing you can do about it. You have to either accept blinds that aren’t completely to your liking or continue hunting until you find a store that sells the right blinds, which can be a lengthy and frustrating process.
- Quality is not assured with ready made blinds, so you can never be fully confident that the product you’re receiving will last.
Our verdict – Which is the better choice?
When considering the pros and cons of both custom made and ready made blinds, choosing custom blinds is the clear winner. Custom made blinds can be a little pricier and you have to wait a bit longer, but this process ensures you do it right once and don’t have to think about it again. The result will be a high-quality product that perfectly fits your window, using a texture and colour you love that compliments the rest of your home design.
If you’re considering custom made blinds, Abbey Blinds and Curtains offers a full service from measure and quote to manufacture and installation. Our blinds are installed by Warren, our expert blind installer who has over 28 years’ experience installing blinds to the highest safety standards. Contact us for a blinds quote today.